1. On the website it says that the adoption's expense compensation consists of among other things "vaccines, testing for infectious diseases, flea, tick and deworming medication". Can you elaborate on what vaccines, tests and medications are given to the cat as a part of the process? What of it is mandatory and do you do anything extra routinely on top of those?
Answer: The only mandatory thing is the rabies shot. In addition to that the cats are vaccinated against calici (FCV), herpes (FHV-1) and parvo. They also get an anti-echinococcus treatment and treatment against fleas, roundworm, lungworm, heartworm and ear mites. That, and the basic deworming for tapeworms and hookworms. The testing for infectious diseases refers to the FeLV and FIV-test (feline leukemia virus and feline immunodeficiency virus).
2. Isn't there enough homeless cats in Finland, when you have to haul cats all the way from Cyprus?
Answer: A homeless cat is a homeless cat no matter their country with the difference that a homeless cat in Finland usually has a roof over their head, water, food and someone taking care of them. In Cyprus, a country of 1.2 million people there are 1.5-2 million homeless cats and no shelters where one could take them. In Cyprus the cats simply disappear and cease to exist in quiet, if private people don't help them. The number of local adoptions is vanishingly small, so adopting abroad is the only lifeline for most of the cats there.
3. I found a cat in Cyprus I would like to help. Do you take these in?
Answer: Unfortunately we lack the capacity to take in cats from all around Cyprus. We operate in Nicosia where we have a queue of around 50 cats waiting on the streets to get into our adoption program. We love it that you want to help though! Vet is usually the first stop and cat carriers in Cyprus are very inexpensive. If you need the help of locals you can find that, for example, in a Facebook group called "Cyprus Cats Who Need Homes Or Help!".
4. Can I donate money to your organization?
Answer: Our fundraising permit is only at a stage of planning at the moment, so for now the only way to donate us money is to make purchases in our store. All profits from our merchandise will go to helping the cats of Cyprus unshortened. For example, when you buy a bag and a mug, we will be able to neuter a cat in Cyprus.
5. Can I donate cat supplies to your organization?
Answer: Yes please!
We are in constant need of cat food, clumping cat sand and toys.